Saturday, April 3, 2010

Art Portfolio Reflection

Since I was not in an art class, but applying to all art schools, I was completely on my own for creating an art portfolio. I ended up joining a figure drawing class outside of school to help me learn how to draw. However I couldn't just submit artwork from one medium so I had to trust my abilities to create something new. I had a few pieces already done that I wanted to submit. I had created a dress last year that I was very proud of and was able to put that into my portfolio. This activity was extremely important to me and I had to put everything I had into it since it would be a huge deciding factor into the college I got into. Not only was a nervous about getting in but the majority of the art schools I got into were some of the toughest to get into, so I was taking a great risk. I had to really think about where my strengths were and find ways to improve them. I took different types of art that inspired me and tried to use that medium to create my own art. I found out that I was very strong when it came to collages and more textual things. My weakness was sketching and painting. I took the figure drawing class to help develop my drawing skills. I had not done a lot of work with charcoal before and I was able to make a lot of pieces to help to contribute to my portfolio. The pieces that I made were something that I would have never imagined my self creating before. With this new skill I started to become aware that I had a lot more talent than I thought and realized my strengths. I set high goals for my self but I was able to accomplish them. I would have never expected that I could create the portfolio that I did. Even though I was applying to art schools for fashion I began to become more interested in art and realize how much potential I really do have as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment