Saturday, April 3, 2010

Miracle Party Reflection

The plan of this activity was to meet the requirements for my gold award by working with the organization called Dream Day of Cape Cod. The main idea was that we would create a Holiday Reunion weekend for the families who had attended the summer camp. However after this event was over and done with we found out that this was not a large enough event to count as a gold award. This created a huge amount of difficulty. Not only because we had to create another even but because our advisor was not very good about replying to emails, or helping us out. Which was completely frustrating. After many many obstacles we have finally made plans to make a Public Service add for the camp but this will not be accomplished until later into the spring. This activity taught me how to plan and manage activities. With the holiday weekend I was in charge of 25 families and their activities for the weekend. I really had to make sure that we had all of the materials we needed and that there was enough for everyone. I had so much responsibility, and I was able to come through with everything. Also since the weekend was broken up between Missy Carley and I and we each had our own different tasks it was very vital to work together to make sure that everything coordinated together. We also are not always able to meet all together and being in the process of trying to plan the P.S announcement so communication and working together has been vital. Having to work with Kathleen and all of the issues she gave me, really taught me how to work with people that might frustrate me and work around it. From this weekend and the preparation for the add I have learned a lot about responsibility and myself. I have also learned that my time management is very weak, but with the preparation for the add I have been better about communication and time management. This activity was extremely valuable to me because getting my gold award is a big accomplishment in girl scouts and it something I really want to go through with. Also I was extremely happy to help these families out. This weekend and this camp is a place for the families to have fun and get away from all of the stress that he disease has placed on the family, I was very glad to be a part of that. The goals were very high goals to accomplish but they were not set to high, in fact they were all met. Well the add still has yet to happen, but with the completion of that the goals will have been met. If there had been better time management from the start, there may have not been that issue. The largest difficulty was the communication and Kathleens and Janes confusion. I would hear one thing from one source, and something else from the other. I should have just talked to both instead of assuming that one was telling the truth. This activity helped to make me more aware of the hardships that families face with diseases and it also showed me how important a family support system really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment