Saturday, April 3, 2010

Soccer Reflection

This was my last year in soccer and I really did want to score one last goal in this season even though I am a defensive player, however even though that did happen I was very happy with this season. When I went into this season I really wanted to try and help be a good role model almost for the younger members on the team. I also wanted to help them feel more comfortable with their transition into Sturgis. I became very close to a few of the underclassmen and any that i passed by in the hallway I said hello to. Also during drills I spent a lot of my time helping out those who seemed to be struggling and giving them pointers on how to do certain things. Also I became very clear where I needed to grow as a player. I worked largely on trying to increase my left foots accuracy and ability. Also I wanted to become a better defender. Even though my left foots accuracy progressed extremely slowly throughout the season my defender skills increased largely. For the most part many of the offensive members on the other team were not able to get passed me. Also I learned many different defensive plays that I will hope to use if I end up playing college soccer. I persevered in the activity and went to every practice and played in every game, until I became sick. At the last week of soccer I got mono, which was a big damper on the season since I had to miss the last week of the season. It was really sad since I was to sick to even go watch the games. One major difficulty i had throughout the season was my knee. I had always had problems with my knee but as the season went on it only got progressively worse. It got to the point that I could not play full games because my knee would give out and start swelling. This activity really helped me to see the importance in team work. I had always felt like a strong player, but I had never focused so largely on all of the different plays and strategies that could make the team stronger no matter the different abilities. If i do end up playing a sport in college or sometime later in my life I will really be able to take what I learned and apply it.

No comments:

Post a Comment